Friday, July 13, 2007

ah ... friday

I was reminded once again this morning that we Portlanders live a highly caffeinated existence. In the three block walk between my bus stop and my building I pass, oh, about three bazillion espresso bars - all of them busy. What would happen if some freakish disaster blew through our city and wiped out every single espresso bar? Oh, the panic!

I used to be a huge Starbucks fan but for the past few years, not so much. I think they really started to go downhill when they started offering gallon size milkshake-type drinks and sandwiches that can be warmed up. It seems every time I do visit a Starbucks all I hear is the migraine-inducing roar of the frappucino machine or smell the nauseating odor of old burnt crumbs in the warming oven.

Not so at Caffe Viale. This tiny little cafe in the lobby of the Congress Center building serves up my morning caffiene made with Cafe Umbria espresso. They use an old school espresso machine - not a push-button model like Starbucks uses these days. And, their morning pastries and lunchtime sandwiches and made-from-scratch soups are delicious and reasonably priced. My favorite breakfast item is a banana and mango muffin - featuring huge, juicy chunks of mango - perfectly paired with an Americano. And for lunch the other day, I enjoyed an Italian Salami and Prosciutto panini with fresh mozzarella and garlic spread and a cup of their delicious Italian Wedding Soup. Mmmmm - comfort food but slightly dressed up. I've become so hooked that the nice baristas at Pioneer Square are probably wondering what happened to Miss Grande' With-Room Americano.

Today I am leaving work early (!!!) and we're heading to Seattle to see a Mariners game (my present to M for his birthday) and to meet up with my friend Keri who recently moved there for a great new job. As is always the case when we go to Europe, we're renting a furnished apartment this time in a trendy neighborhood with lots of shops and restaurants we can walk to. And although I've been to Seattle many times, a lot of those trips have been for business and I've stayed in typical "business" hotels. I'm really looking forward to this chance to live in a real Seattle neighborhood and soak in the culture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angeleen said...

Color me envious.

I love Seattle, but one of the last times I was there was our road trip to the Russian art exhibit... Was I even married yet? I can't remember! UGH!

Have a wonderful trip and soak some culture in for meee, tooooo!

I'll just be out here in the country throwing a birthday party for Anna and my two nephiews. BBQ for 30! Wheeeee!!! You know the burgers will be stellar. Here's to hoping my aging spine holds up to the hostessing! LOL!

Cheers, Love!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home